Sunday, November 9, 2008

Science

"Some day, Becksta," my wise father once told me, "you are going to wake up and find graphing data and gathering numerical information fun and exciting, like I did."

"Dad," I told him, "perchance, did you ever wake up and find that composing, arranging, and creating beautiful music fun and exciting?"

"Well, no, I didn't..."

"Case in point." I replied, smug.

Yes, I am a good math and science student.
Yes, I get good grades in school.
Yes, I to like doing math activities.
NO, I do NOT like science, data, and graphing.
Why? Because it is tedious, boring, and should be left for people who actually WANT to do it.
Have you ever been forced to do something you hate and it comes out at a much lower quality than something you did that you actually liked?

For example- say you loved drawing and painting, but you hated woodwork. You are at equal levels of excellence in both fields, yet you like painting better.
Now imagine that you are forced to do some woodwork for some odd class project. Then, in another class, you were forced to paint Joe Shmoe's portrait.
Which one would come out with a better quality of craftsmanship?
And which one will you enjoy completing more?
THE PAINTING!

It's the same for me. I am at an equal level of excellence for both music and science. However, I like preforming music more. So, which one am I more likely to choose down the road of life?
Probably music.

Thanks for listening to my rant for the day...

No comments: